The Magic of Arizona Hummingbirds, Bats & Night Sky Workshops
An Arizona Hummingbird Photography Experience like no other...
If you enjoy capturing incredible images all day while relaxing in a chair, in the shade, with a beverage, near your modernized cabin in the cool mountains of Arizona, then register quickly! This event is quite popular.
This workshop is about the easiest way to capture thousands of amazing hummingbird images that you can experience in the USA. The Magic of Arizona Hummingbirds & Night Sky and the Magic of Arizona Hummingbirds & Bats are the only 8-person workshop in the United States (based on our extensive research) that offers each participant their own dedicated 4-flash setup to use all weekend long. (Other hummingbird flash photography workshops typically make you share a setup with 1-2 other participants--reducing your shooting time and images by 50-70 percent!)
Co-leaders, Lisa Langell and Kim Gray will teach you how to use multiple flashes to photograph hummingbirds with incredible color and detail. We provide abundant instruction and plenty of time to photograph the birds. Bring your camera, tripod and a lens--and start taking amazing pictures! We'll show you how -- and loan you specialized setups to do so!
You will be a part of a small group (8) participants and two instructors as you sit amidst myriad hummingbirds that are concentrated in this renown area as they travel northward through Madera Canyon, Arizona-- an internationally known flyway for migrating hummingbirds.
Click the links below for the dates you wish to attend for complete details, options for private and shared lodging and more.
Rates for 2020:
$1950.00/person (based on double occupancy)
$2595.00/person (single occupancy)
August 26-29, 2019 (SOLD OUT - Join Wait List)
August 30 -September 2, 2019 (SOLD OUT - Join Wait List)
*** 2020 dates for and late summer will be posted soon!***
Includes 4 days, 3 nights, shared lodging + instruction and one dedicated setup per participant (We are the only known group hummingbird workshop that offers this luxury!)
Sept 26 - Oct 4, 2020 REGISTRATION OPEN!
• Enjoy and photograph between 50-60 species of hummingbirds!
• Learn professional techniques for photographing hummingbirds
• Learn professional field-sketching and watercolor techniques for those who love this type of work
• Enjoy beautiful cloud forest habitat full of colorful orchids
This trip is limited to just 8 artists and photographers. As we explore each location and enjoy their many feeders, Kevin Loughlin and Lisa Langell will offer instruction and techniques to capture great images of these flying gems.
Catherine, who is also a photographer, will be instructing in the art of field sketching as well as her beautiful watercolor techniques that bring the birds she draws to life!
Ecuador is home to over 60 species of hummingbirds! Read more here...
This magical photo experience is second-to-none with regard to Arizona's hummingbirds!
What sets this hummingbird photo experience apart from others?
• EVERY participant is provided with their own fully dedicated multi-flash setup!! (All other hummingbird photo workshops typically require sharing one setup between 2-3 participants.). By having dedicated setups for each participant, this means you get an additional 33-66% more shooting time than the other hummingbird workshops available. This is a MASSIVE increase in value for you. We are the only known event to offer this benefit.
• Shoot right from the yard of our cabins at the lodge-- no driving or hiking required
• Two full-time instructors to support your learning and ensure you get great images -- and h ave kind, caring support every day
• You learn how to set up and use a multi-flash hummingbird system for photography. Most other workshops just "hook you up" and let you shoot. We help you set up -- and then show you the steps so you can do it at home, too!
• Bat photography (late summer) right at the lodge -- no traveling, expensive add-on fees, or leaving your gear out overnight unattended at another location, hoping to capture a bat image
• Exclusive use of the Santa Rita Lodge's western wing -- this helps eliminate tourist traffic, noise, and disruptions
• Learn the contemporary hummingbird photography technique that was originated by Lisa Langell --- High Key Hummingbirds on White! People love them and you'll learn how to do this very special technique from the original creator!
Are you ready for a magical hummingbird experience?
We typically see and photograph the following hummingbirds at the 5000' altitude level of our lodge at Madera Canyon, AZ:
• Rivoli's Hummingbird (formerly Magnificent Hummingbird)
• Broad-Billed Hummingbird
• Black-Chinned Hummingbird
• Rufous Hummingbird
• Broad-tailed Hummingbird
We often see and may photograph other species that include:
• Acorn Woodpecker
• Mexican Jay
• Western Scrub-Jay
• Wild Turkey
• Gambel's Quail
• Bridled Titmouse
• Arizona Woodpecker
• Elf Owl (Spring)
• Elegant Trogon (spring/summer)
• Black-headed grosbeak
• Summer and hepatic tanager
• Sulfur-bellied flycatchers
• Myriad other species as shown here (click link).
Additionally, wildlife frequents the canyon--including mule deer, reptiles, butterflies, coatimundi, javelina, and even the elusive ringtail--which could all add to your photographic diversity during this workshop.
We make it easy!
Lisa Langell & Kim Gray are both expert hummingbird photographers and LOVE helping people learn while creating a fun, upbeat and supportive experience for you!
We provide your own fully dedicated station and equipment!
Most hummingbird photography workshops make you share equipment / setups with fellow participants, cutting your shooting time in half (or more)! Not us! We provide you with your own fully dedicated (i.e., no sharing required) flash setup and system! We're the ONLY known workshop in Arizona that fully supports each of our eight participants with their own dedicated setups and shooting areas so that you don't have to "take turns" and share with fellow participants.
SEE AN EXAMPLE OF OUR HUMMINGBIRD SETUPS (click for video) Simply bring your camera, a mid-range zoom lens (examples include a 70-200mm, 300mm, or 100-400mm--or similar), a remote trigger ($10 or so) and your tripod! We provide the rest! We'll show you how to use multiple flashes to photograph hummingbirds with incredible color and detail. You'll receive abundant instruction, support, smiles, and plenty of time to photograph the birds!
• 4 days / 3-nights shared lodging on-site (2 people per room. Single Supplement is approximately $495 additional and available on a limited basis. Exact rate will be given at time of request and is based on lodge's current rates and availability.)
• Dedicated flash-related photography setups and instruction for hummingbird photography, including backdrops, flowers, flashes, etc. (no sharing--you each get your own!) This makes us unique among the various hummingbird workshops in the USA that typically make people share setups!)
• Hummingbird photography instruction, bat (optional) photography instruction, and processing tips (provided via private video tutorial library shared with registrants)
• LOADS of fun, supportive instruction, laughs and great experiences!
What's not included:
• Transportation to/from the Santa Rita Lodge in Madera Canyon, Arizona
• Closest airports are:
Tucson, AZ (about 45 mins from the lodge)
Phoenix, AZ (about 2.75 hours from the lodge) Y
• Your basic camera gear (see checklist in your registration packet, upon registration, for details.)
• Meals. Due to Arizona law, we cannot provide meals; however, your cabin is equipped with a kitchenette: Includes a stove, oven, microwave, sink, coffee maker and toaster, plus assorted utensils, soap, dishes, etc. You are welcome to pick up grocery items for your snacks/meals in Green Valley on the way to the lodge (about 25 minutes from the lodge entrance). Some participants also choose to enjoy dinner in Green Valley.